CISO AS A SERVICE (CISOaaS)
In 2020, businesses in the UK faced an average of 686,961 attempts to breach their systems online, equating to an attempted attack every 46 seconds, making information security a top concern for businesses of all sizes.
Cyber security must now be at the forefront of every organization’s business strategy, and the role of a Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) is critical if cyber security is to be taken seriously.
THE TRANSFORMATIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF A CISO
A CISO’s goal is to make cybersecurity relevant to the company’s top management. Their role as the senior executive in charge of security and compliance extends beyond the expertise of operational IT managers. They are responsible for establishing and maintaining the enterprise vision, strategy, and programs to ensure that information assets and technologies are adequately protected from both internal and external threats. However, as the scale, sophistication, and seriousness of cyber threats has increased in recent years, so has the role of the CISO in ensuring cyber security is given a seat in the boardroom and is part of strategic conversations and priorities.
THE ROLE OF A CISO
As the trusted security advisor, the CISO is responsible for developing and implementing a solid security strategy that covers all end-to-end security operations:
- Stakeholder liaison and engagement at a senior level
- Securing the necessary funding and resources
- Evaluating the threat landscape
- Defining security objectives and metrics
- Identifying and monitoring all information security risks
- Devising policies and controls to reduce risk
- Conducting testing and digital forensic investigations
- Leading all auditing activities
- Implementing employee security awareness training
- Choosing and purchasing security products from vendors
- Ensuring Compliance with all necessary legislation
- Ensuring company wide adherence to security practices
- Defining and managing disaster recovery and business continuity in the event of a breach
- Managing the Computer Security Incident Response Team
CISO DEMAND AND SUPPLY
One of the most pressing issues confronting business leaders today is a shortage of cyber security skills. With the rise of cybercrime and businesses continuing to invest in technology to support business growth and remote working, there has never been a greater need for CISO skills.
CISOs typically have a strong combination of business acumen and technological knowledge, as well as recognized information security certifications. However, the CISO is now expected to play a critical role in managing brand perception, employee engagement, and the strategic adoption of new technologies, in addition to protecting against threats and managing risk.
As a result, CISOs earn the third-highest average salary in the UK, their work is notoriously demanding, and their diverse skill sets are difficult to obtain. Finding and retaining a CISO is often one of the biggest challenges for organisations that take cyber security seriously.
According to IDG’s 2020 Security Priorities Study, 61 percent of surveyed companies have a CISO (rising to 85 percent for large global organizations), and those without a CISO are more likely to say their security strategy is not proactive enough.
According to a Ponemon Institute study, appointing a CISO reduced the cost of a breach by £5 per record. Given that a breach is a matter of when, and not if, hiring a CISO is particularly advantageous.
WHY YOUR BUSINESS MAY NEED CISO-AS-A-SERVICE
Given the complexities of recruiting and retaining individuals with such diverse and in-demand skill sets, businesses are now enjoying the benefits of a more flexible approach to securing CISO expertise.
The emergence of “Virtual” or “Fractional” CISOs via the CISO-as-a-Service (CISOaaS) model offers businesses a cost-effective and flexible way to add leadership, value, and commitment to their information security.
The model is most suitable when:
- Your business is not large enough to justify a full time CISO
- You are having trouble recruiting a suitable individual
- You have an internal skills gap
- You are leveraging emerging technologies and you require project based expertise
- You require expertise to scope and develop the role and strategy
- You simply need some extra short term/interim support in your leadership team
COST EFFECTIVE, FLEXIBLE AND COMPREHENSIVE VIRTUAL CISO EXPERTISE
Our flexible and comprehensive CISOaaS model provides cost effective cyber security expertise, enabling your business to access business acumen, strategic security experience and valuable technical skills:
- Provides a cost-effective way of accessing strategic senior security experience and technical skills without the cap-ex costs
- Offers an affordable method of proactively maintaining information your security systems and managing risk
- Provides the ability to access resources quickly
- Extends your organisation’s information security capabilities
- Lowers your costs as you only pay for the support required
- Ensures an ongoing security presence, meaning risks and incidents and business losses are reduced
- Leaves you free to focus on your core business objectives
IT IS TIME TO GET SERIOUS ABOUT CYBER SECURITY
If your business is serious about cyber security, employing a Virtual CISO is a must!
Please get in touch with the experts at Infosec Partners to discuss how our CISOaaS can benefit your business.